Last week, I went down to North Carolina to visit my friends Ursula Vernon and Kevin Sonney (Ursula makes art & word-things, one of which won a Hugo, and Kevin makes computers go good and DMs our weekly D&D game.) Due to how our schedules lined up, I drove down on the Sunday after the Extra Life event. This meant I had basically stayed up for about 25 hours starting at 6am on Saturday, went to sleep at 7am on Sunday, woke up at 1pm, and then drove for about 9 hours. Thankfully I survived (obviously) and made it to Kevin & Ursula's house full of loving but ill-behaved animals. (Really, they meant well. Except maybe Ben, but I learned quickly that if one simply does not bother the Ben, than he will not kill you. So overall, we got along fine.)
While I was there, I was given the grand tour of Ursula's expansive (but in it's less-than-ideal-fall-season-but-obviously-still-very-impressive) garden, got to have Sushi with fellow D&Der Jen (aka "Wilhemina" the flavored-potion making Gnome) & her family, discovered the magic of gray sketchbooks with Ursula, and rediscovered "Archer" with Kevin, among many other things. Oh, and I ate some really terrible food (and some really good & mediocre) food with them as a guest on their podcast "Kevin & Ursula Eat Cheap". It ended up being a nearly 2 hour show, twice the normal length. I guess, umm... you're welcome?
Here are a few random things that I learned during my trip (queue picture of Ursula with the rainbow "The More You Know" logo hovering over her head):
- I'm almost 30 and I'm still perplexed by the headlight mechanism on my mother's car (which lead to me accidentally draining the battery of said car)
- A plant called an Ebony Spleenwort is a real thing.
- The Hugo Award trophy is really frigging heavy. Like, potential murder weapon heavy.
- They grow spiders BIG in the south.
- Tuna Jerky tastes like fish and regret. (from KUEC)
- Teriyaki should never be carbonated (also from KUEC)
- There is no love like a beagle who wants his chair back.
- Ben the cat may look like he wants you to pet his belly, but it's a trap. With claws.
- Naked Mole Rats have hive social structures, complete with queens, and can breath Amonia. They're aliens, I tell you!
- THE MORAL ABC BRINGS YOU CLOSER IN ALL-ONE-GOD-FAITH! DILUTE! DILUTE! OK!!
Overall it was an AWESOME trip, Kevin & Ursula were super awesome for putting up with me for 5 days, and hopefully they will allow me into their home again in the future. Ideally without the Teriyaki soda this time. ;)
PS: I also drew an adorable Cthulhu. ^_^ (click to open the full-view version)